06 May 2020

Whining

Updated: May 8, 2020

This post was originally placed on my FB wall last night. A friend of mine got affected by the “whining” part of my post or maybe the whole thing because somebody close to her “might” lose a job in the shutdown of the tv network.

Here is the actual post:

In other news: people are crying because Abs- Cbn has shut down. Please... next thing you know they’re back in business, quit whining.

I don't expect people to agree or to disagree with me. I did not see the point in discussing further, especially when my friend's opinion got deeply involve and in the privacy of my FB wall. I gave an answer in a very technical way, because what I said was merely a statement, an expression. I closed the conversation in the most ethical and diplomatic manner I can and I have to say, we can't "agree to disagree" because there was just one opinion that circulated in the original thread, and it's not even mine, it's like telling me to agree with what you said and on my FB wall.

The mistake was I did not expound on the idea further so it looked as if I generalized everything. My words were too strong, it's insensitive, again, my mistake and I apologize for that.

Now why whining? Aside from the fact that the root cause of this is the reaction on "whining", if we're going to focus on losing jobs per se, let me give a more detailed and fair approach on it. My two cents?

The issue is not really about the network shutting down, it’s their employees who “might” lose their jobs.

We have friends working in this tv network too. The thing that should be looked upon is how each one (the employees) will understand, accept and handle the current situation they're in.

Spox Harry Roque latest update May 7, 2020
DOLE: Network employees will still have jobs and will be paid accordingly

All are affected but, they (our friends) opt to think of the next steps, on how they'll survive and grow from this situation. They're as vocal as everyone else but their statements are hopeful, and optimistic. So when I said “quit whining”, it only means that I don't fear for this company, they still stand a chance. With that, let us put into mind that it is not just the employees of this network who are suffering. There are others in worse cases with or without this pandemic. We all have problems to face, it’s not just you who lose in daily battles and “who will” lose something for this matter.

Given the current global situation, there are those who lost their battle to Covid- 19 without even seeing their loved ones. Our health workers, frontliners are risking their lives everyday. Our servicemen taking all the punches from unsatisfied citizens. Others already lost their jobs, forced to stop without due process. People are let go from small to middle type companies because they have to cut costings. Some have shutdown permanently. A lot has nothing to eat with no roof to protect them, deprived of their medical needs because of the pandemic.

There's just too much to take in. Yet, I see people yes, whine about the shut down of this broadcast network. It's okay to cry and get emotional, but it's different if we take things on a political and personal level, then make judgements based on emotions, without knowing the facts, the technicalities behind every circumstance. It pays to be well- informed than react to things based on what ifs, maybes and malicious hearsays.

Outside this network issue, I personally, have immediate family members who lost their jobs just because they're considered as non- essential workers. My husband had to remove some of his staff for that same reason, because "they're not important". You think it’s easy to get someone out of job? no it’s not. But! these same people remained and offered help so that the company can still function accordingly even if they will not get paid.

Optimism plays a big role in our personal games and in the choices we make. In other words, allow yourself to understand the situation and carry yourself to the next level instead of dwelling onto something you have no control of.

The idea that for every morning we wake up, there is no assurance on what awaits us in this world, is something we have to deal with. That's why there are those who remain positive, there are those who take things one at a time, there are those who focus on one's mental and spiritual well- being, and those who choose to live and put value on the little things they have. I’m not saying all, at least some of us.

There’s no assurance, there’s no security if our families, these people will get their jobs back, it’s sad and insanely bothersome, but no one is complaining, there's no time for it at all. They just move on and they pull the good side on losing their only source of income, that's self- care, family time, and staying healthy.

This thing that happened with the tv network was untimely. It's a very sensitive issue to touch on. It's out of our hands, the timing was bad, I must agree. It may seem to be a political move, but let us stick to the facts instead, it will help broaden our "perspective".

I was hopeful that it won't end this way.

I sympathize with them not only because we enjoy watching their programs, but also because for some time, my mom was a talent of this tv network and worked with the likes of Sarah Geronimo. My mom also came out in various teleseryes and had a chance to be in the talk show of Kris and Korina. My sister was part of a modeling workshop too. Me and my siblings walked the grounds of Abs- Cbn as if we're part of a bigger family. We enjoyed eating in the canteen side by side with some talents. My husband did a couple of sessions with Abs- Cbn as a musician too.

I'm pretty positive of what I said: "Next thing you know, they're back in business".

I commend the President of the tv network for being optimistic.

Looking at the “obvious”, it will take time, but this company will get its franchise back. They play a big role in mass media, they’re technically #1, they will be back, even bigger, brighter!

Better days are on the way...

From the author: I don't share my thoughts for the purpose of changing a reader's point of view, I don't expect for my readers to agree or to disagree with what I share, and I don't insist that my posts are correct.

No comments:

The Positive Effects of ECQ

( E nhanced C ommunity Q uarantine) Hi folks! I know its taking forever for this pandemic to end. As far as I know, the world is on loc...