24 October 2017

Spoiled Daughter- In- Law

In the recent reunion I had with my childhood friends, the talked about topics was mostly family life. What's new, the fun part as married women and the ups and downs of sharing a new relationship with people we didn't grow up with, yet, are there to complete our families. I'm talking about our "in-laws".  I was the last person to share in the group about my experiences with my in-laws.

My friends asked me on what kind of relationship I share with my mother-in-law in particular. All I blurted out at that moment was "I'm a spoiled daughter-in-law".  Over-all, my relationship with my in-laws from my mom-in-law, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and even cousin-in-laws are close to perfect.

 We all have our stories to share, all are expected to be different and all relationships are bound to be created depending on the person or what defines both us and our in-laws. I realized in the end, it's all about respect. It's all about finding your spot in the family and by being sensitive or being aware on what's happening around you.

 My in-laws give importance to my part in the family, which I really appreciate. They respect my role as the mother of their grandchildren and nephews. They never bypass my role as the wife of my husband. 

My parents taught me well in order to have a smooth relationship with my in-laws: pay respect by recognizing their positions and their roles in the family, radiate self-respect and  by being simple. Personally, as much as possible, I try to be the one to adjust in any given situation. 

Honesty is also part of a successful relationship, especially with your other half. 

It is given that we all have our ways in running our own households. On my experience,  being open about the things I prefer matters. Don't be afraid to share your thoughts on certain things. We all have our perspectives so honesty and sincerity will help both sides meet in the middle, agree on something without stepping on each other's roles in the family. Well so far it works for me.

I am very happy, thankful and partly proud to share with my friends the closeness I have with my in-laws. It kinda shed a new light to something where the in-laws (particularly the mom-in-law) plays the villain.  I guess for some it might take time, like a lot of time. Hopefully for most of us, everything is running smoothly. 

If there's one thing to learn when dealing with others in general, it's always to be respectful and understand our differences.

When I said that "I'm a spoiled daughter- in-law", it became a spot- on realization that made me even more grateful for meeting and marrying a man with such a lovely background and family. If my husband is a nice person... my in-laws are nicer. 😁

No comments:

The Positive Effects of ECQ

( E nhanced C ommunity Q uarantine) Hi folks! I know its taking forever for this pandemic to end. As far as I know, the world is on loc...